A Few Good Books of Reference

Post about, discuss, favourite books...
bullockornis

A Few Good Books of Reference

Postby bullockornis » Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:30 am

I've got these on hand right now and I'd like to remember them in the future.

Freedom Betrayed. Herbert Hoover. A wonderful factual account of all the machinations of the world leaders during WWII showing such things as the fact of the deliberate bloody minded dropping of the A bombs on Japan when not necessary - they had been asking for peace for six months already!

Quantum Man. Lawrence Krauss's excellent biography of Richard Feynman.

Chemistry for Dummies by John T Moore. An excellent book to have around if your chemistry is not good - will answer ad hoc questions and is always there as a font of information to dip into and explore further. Easy reading at the same time as being accurate and in depth.

Biochemistry for Dummies by John T Moore. Another excellent book by the same author. Chemistry is such a large subject that one needs this book as well as the other. - And then Organic Chemistry for Dummies, too, and I don't know what else but these three make a sort of necessary basic starting point.

Calculus Workbook for Dummies by Mark Ryan. An excellent workbook for beginning calculus.

Oxygen by Nick Lane. One ought to have all of Nick Lane's works, he's so good. This one tells of the enormous significance of the oxygen molecule to life. Incredible. Facinating. Totally convincing to me.

Life Ascending. Nick Lane. Should be like a companion volume to Oxygen. This is subtitled 'the ten great inventions of evolution'. It really is another tour de force by Nick.

Dreams of Earth and Sky. by Freeman Dyson. It is a collection of his reviews. The introduction has some very good words on his view of climate science at the moment - the most interesting of which, to me, are Nullius in Verba, the motto of the Royal Society, apparently, and which mean 'Nobody tell us how to think' which is deeply ironic considering the state of the climate debate today.

It is a good collection, not all of which I liked or enjoyed but nevertheless a good collection. He writes well and has good things to say. He's one of the real people of our world.

Darkness at Noon. Arthur Koestler. This is 'vintage Koestler' it says on the jacket. He's a good writer. Apparently he's even a great writer. But I dislike this story very much. Too sad, too gloomy, too real, too topical. About a man in prison in something like old USSR - political background, madness, terror, hate, violence etc...

Awful.

The Idiot's Guide to String Theory. George Musser.

A terrific book that lays open before you the whole field of sub atomic, quantum and relativistic physics. Well, not really I suppose - such a vast field, such an abstruse field, so mathematically intensive etc,. couldn't possibly be laid open before the lay reader in one such small volume. No chance. But it feels like it does it. You feel you're getting an understanding of the whole thing. It does a mighty job. Doesn't make me a physicist or even au fait with relativity to any real degree, but it does something for me, something good, nourishes my mind somehow without a doubt.

Suicide of the West. James Burnham. Strikes me as a heap of crap.

Return to “Favourite Books”