Romance and Cigarettes DVD

Post your own reviews or links to reviews... or request reviews...
zeamais

Romance and Cigarettes DVD

Postby zeamais » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:08 am

Beautiful movie. Not big. Not too small but definitely not a great big thing.

Musical. Not a full blown musical, not like that at all. There are one or two places where it goes off like a musical - everyone singing and dancing - but mostly there's just the odd little song or snippet of song.

The point is, though, that the thing IS musical. The music is good. They - the people who made it - know music, they created a musical thing.

Many movies have music in them and yet are totally unmusical. Not so here.

And those that made it know love and life. And love-in-life or love-as-it-is or life-as-it-is.

They don't know manual work, though, I think. There's couple of little scenes where Steve Buscemi and James Gandolfini are supposedly steel workers high on the steel frame of a high bridge, chatting - most unconvincing.

And the scenes with Christopher Walken. I can't see how he was needed. I think they just threw him in to add his fans to the audience.

But Susan Sarandon and Kate Winslet are great, perfect.

It is a work of poetry, essentially. And it works. A light, delicate touch for all its nitty gritty and profane hassling. Light and delicate but pointing towards that implacable hard final truth of the human condition and perhaps all that surrounds it.

It's a little beauty I think.

Return to “Reviews”